Vicibox 7.0.0

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Vicibox 7.0.0

Postby khuff » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:08 am

When did Vicibox 7.0.0 come out? Anything new, any big differences? I'm thinking of upgrading our cluster and wanted to know if there would be any compatibility issues if I were do it as a piecemeal upgrade.
Vicibox 8.1 | ViciDial VERSION: 2.14-687a BUILD: 180908-1618 | Asterisk: 11.25.3-vici | Multi Server 12 x Dialers / 2 x Web / 1 x Master DB / 1 x Slave DB / 1 x Archive | No extra software or hardware after install
khuff

Re: Vicibox 7.0.0

Postby Kumba » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Well, the big things are on the web page. It's using OpenSuSE Leap v.42.1 which came out about 3 months ago. It's got Asterisk 11 by default. Along with other newer version of software and kernel drivers.

There's an ipset called 'badips' that can be used to block IPs using the built in firewall. There's also a new upgrade script that uses the new manifest from the SVN trunk to do upgrades making it forward compatible. A revised my.cnf since most systems are going to have 8GB of ram or more and also enables some newer features.

The install manual is lagging but so far the only big difference is after you to the install and it reboots the first time, you have to reboot a second time for the network to come up. Some sort of issue that I haven't ironed out just yet.

There's also a vicibox logo when you boot off the CD now.

So about the only big new change is the IPSet functionality. It's built into the SuSEfirewall2 script itself. Here's some short hand commands:

List all IPSets and their contents:
ipset -l

Add an IP to be blocked:
ipset add badips <ip-address>

Remove an IP from being blocked:
ipset del badips <ip-address>

I don't have anything written to manage this yet, but it's functional. I'll likely write a program that reads a text file somewhere like /root/badips and inserts this into the IPset upon reboot.
Kumba

Postby khuff » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:29 pm

How does one install to the hard drive? I'm used to using the preload iso, and the installation guide isn't updated. The steps provided for vicibox 6.x do not apply to this version it seems.
Vicibox 8.1 | ViciDial VERSION: 2.14-687a BUILD: 180908-1618 | Asterisk: 11.25.3-vici | Multi Server 12 x Dialers / 2 x Web / 1 x Master DB / 1 x Slave DB / 1 x Archive | No extra software or hardware after install
khuff

Postby Kumba » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm

You would follow along with the standard install. So after you login you run 'os-install' and follow the prompts. While the v.6.0 manual isn't 100%, it is 90% the same.

I am working on the v.7.0 Manual and hopefully will have it done by the end of the week. For the most part, if you read through the entire v.6.0 install manual, it will prep you and give you a good idea of what it's asking to do in v.7.0, even if some of the prompts are in a different order.

For the phase 2 installation, it's all the same. So only installing the OS through phase 1 is different.

I have also not decided on if I will do a preload disk. It seems to be flaky on the install. I guess I will post up a poll and see what people say.
Kumba

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo