openSUSE default LVM configuration

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

openSUSE default LVM configuration

Postby bobchaos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:08 pm

I've recently setup 2 new machines using Vicibox standard 6.0 and whenn I ran the os-install I used pretty standard settings up to the disk partitioning, which i requested be LVM but added no further input. I was expecting the whole VG tp be allocated to root's LV but instead I ended up with a 500G VG and a 10G LV . Is it possible to configure it to use 100% of the VG for LV_root when using the default suggested LVM layout in future revisions? I've never messed around with Anaconda or Yast or any of those all that much so I really have no clue o.O
bobchaos

Re: openSUSE default LVM configuration

Postby williamconley » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:29 pm

We avoid LVM entirely and stick with simple /boot /swap and / partitions (with / being either ENTIRE DRIVE or a small portion to account for the DB, reserving the rest for future expansion based on client needs, usually /home/ or /home/archive/)

We've had a couple installs where there were tiny problems with the HD, and the result was (every few months?) a damaged LVM requiring serious damage control to get the LVM back online before the system could boot. In the end, of course, those difficulties would have been avoided by having a simpler HD. You can not copy the contents of an LVM if it's damaged. But a regular HD partition, even when damaged, can usually be harvested without having to repair the entire thing first. Admittedly not a problem if the HD doesn't become unstable, but a horrible problem when the drive begins to degrade. LVM is no longer welcome here. LOL
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby bobchaos » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Some people won't know or won't care and will do LVM setups anyhow, wouldn't it be nice if the default suggestion was improved?
bobchaos

Postby williamconley » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Depends on hardware. Always works for our hardware, for instance. LOL (Probably why We've never complained ...)

We use Intel DG35EC motherboards and Dell 1950/2950 servers (only, nothing else).
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:22 pm

bobchaos wrote:Some people won't know or won't care and will do LVM setups anyhow, wouldn't it be nice if the default suggestion was improved?

There is a control file that controls the installation in /etc/YaST2/control.xml

You can find the various installation settings in there. If you want to browse it and give me some snippets for LVM I can include them. We really do not get many requests for LVM. Most of the time the requests we do get for LVM have no concensus on layout. It seems when LVM is wanted it comes with a more involved layout then a simple root and swap mount.
Kumba

Postby nandotech » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:43 pm

williamconley wrote:Depends on hardware. Always works for our hardware, for instance. LOL (Probably why We've never complained ...)

We use Intel DG35EC motherboards and Dell 1950/2950 servers (only, nothing else).

Hilarious.

I met a ViciDIAL "Expert" a few months ago at a company I was brought in to consult for. He completely swore off ALL Dell servers as being completely incompatible and just "not acting right" with ViciDIAL installs.

My very first and longest standing ViciDIAL cluster runs on nothing but Dell 2950/1950s (well, an R900 database). Also, all Intel dual & quad core.

I do use nothing but HP ProLiant's now, though--mostly Gen7, few Gen6 still around.
After having a few AMD servers for a client, I switched back and started buying nothing but Intel HP ProLiants. I couldn't really tell you exactly why...probably between what I'd read and a preference for Intel and my vendor's availability at the time.
NandoTech, Inc | Software Developers and Telephony Solution Experts
ViciDIAL Hosting | Full Custom Installations | CRM Integrations | Support & Training
www.nandotech.com | 561-757-7187 | info@nt-x.com
For awesome VoIP/SIP Trunking: Arctele Communications, Inc
nandotech

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo