Moving Vicibox to a new Server ?

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Moving Vicibox to a new Server ?

Postby boiken » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 am

Hello everybody

I using an all-ion-one server.
I was wondering if i can move the existing server to a new physical server.Because the actual server is a 1U rack mountable SuperMicro and i cant find a Raid Card card for that model.
So i was thinking to move to a new one.

How can this be made ?

Thanks
CONTACT US
Vicidial Support
https://www.fiverr.com/share/rxDY0x
boiken

Re: Moving Vicibox to a new Server ?

Postby mflorell » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:19 am

Just backup everything with the ADMIN_backup.pl script, then install your new machine and move the backup files to the new machine and unzip them all, then run the SQL file backup in mysql. Then you just need to adjust your settings for the new IP address(if it is different from the backup) and you should be good to go.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby boiken » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:00 am

The ADMIN_Backup.pl script,backups only the Database ??
Or it includes files from the system ?
CONTACT US
Vicidial Support
boiken

Postby mflorell » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:25 am

it backs up all scripts and asterisk configuration files, in addition to the database.

Run it with the --help flag for options.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby boiken » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:46 am

[--db-only] = only backup the database
[--db-without-logs] = do not backup the log tables in the database
[--conf-only] = only backup the asterisk conf files
[--without-db] = do not backup the database
[--without-conf] = do not backup the conf files
[--without-web] = do not backup web files
[--without-sounds] = do not backup asterisk sounds
[--without-voicemail] = do not backup asterisk voicemail
[--without-crontab] = do not backup crontab
[--ftp-transfer] = Transfer backup to FTP server
[--debugX] = super debug
[--debug] = debug
[--test] = test

This are the available flags.
Im my situation that i want to backup everything i have to run the script without a flag ?
Only by typing AMDMIN_Backup.pl ?

And how is the restore procedure done ?

Thanks mflorell
CONTACT US
Vicidial Support
boiken

Postby mflorell » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:45 am

That is correct, although I usually put in the --debug flag if I'm running it manually so I can see what's going on.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:51 pm

boiken wrote:[--debugX] = super debug
This are the available flags.
Im my situation that i want to backup everything i have to run the script without a flag ?
Only by typing AMDMIN_Backup.pl ?

And how is the restore procedure done ?

Thanks mflorell

Run the backup with the --debugX flag (helps your brain understand what's happening, but has no other effect on execution).

Restore is done via "tar" and "gunzip" for each of the tar's included in the final .gz file.

Except for the mysql database, they can be restored to their original location via the tar command "tar -xvcf {filaneme} -C /"

Note that if the Asterisk version is different or there are other significant differences in the replacement server, you'll need to make appropriate adjustements and perhaps run "perl install.pl" in the trunk folder again.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby dailafing » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm in the process of learning this method of backup.

I've not tried it yet, ever, but I think I'm going to need to know this since I plan to give an old 32bit fresh system just for him and his mate to get started. But I'm sure he will be back to upgrade soon, and he will want to get a 64bit system.

The problem o forsee is that the latest 32bit version is not as new as the latest 64bit versions.

So how can I transfer the database from a 32bit (version x) to a 64bit (version y)?

Thanks...
ViciBox Redux v5.0.2-130821
Asterisk v.1.8.230.-vici
-Please feel free to message me about how to find out more version information, and how I may update to the latest. - I've no clue!
dailafing

Postby williamconley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:56 pm

I find it hard to believe you will actually be installing this on a system with a 32-bit processor unless you are installing it in a virtual server and simply don't know how to activate the 64bit option (or happen to have an older system that is incapable of 64 bit due to a technicality ...). Note that there is NO reason to install 32-bit when you are on a 64bit processor. Always use 64bit when it will boot and install. :) If you're not sure, try it! It will either work or not, but it won't hurt anything when it fails and says "I can't install here, this is a 32 bit environment!).

That being said: The DB is OS independent and is in no way linked to the 32 or 64 bit nature of the processor when being moved from one system to another.

IE: when you move the DB between one system and another, it makes NO difference that one or the other was 32 or 64.

The version of Vicidial is all that matters. You will need to either match the installed Vicidial code to the version that was on the machine from the DB's old home OR upgrade the DB to match the installed Vicidial code in the new home. Either way works, but note that you can not downgrade a DB to work with old code later (so "going back" is no longer an option with the DB after upgrading it).
williamconley

Postby dailafing » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi William,

Yes the old system is a 32bit cpu.... and the user will only use it for a few months to get enough coin in to buy a much more beefy 64bit (and better spec)...

So what im looking for is the method of moving the database from old to new.
File location....
Does it require packing-up, or does it require any instruction for the old system to prepair the file for export?
and the same for the new system.... do I need to 'import' of follow any kind of procedure to tell it that its about to receive a new db, or to look for the new db?
..............or is it as simple as drag and drop using WinSCP?

Also, silly question, but.... is EVERYTHING in this one db file? all lists, records, dial plans, settings, campaigns, etc... everything in one file?

thanks again
ViciBox Redux v5.0.2-130821
Asterisk v.1.8.230.-vici
-Please feel free to message me about how to find out more version information, and how I may update to the latest. - I've no clue!
dailafing

Postby williamconley » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 pm

LOL: Yep, everything in one db.

Before you begin, ensure that the new server is capable of both manual dial AND auto dial for a logged in agent in a campaign. Otherwise you don't really have a functional server (like renting a car with a blown out engine, probably not going to be a good weekend).

msyqldump on the old server. Of the entire DB. You can gzip if you like for transport (10-15% of the original size, much easier to transport).

Code: Select all
mysqldump asterisk -p > XXXXX.sql

On the new server, DROP the asterisk database. CREATE the asterisk database. Now you have an empty asterisk shell database ready to receive. Then you "execute" the mysqldump file against the asterisk database:

Code: Select all
mysql asterisk -p < XXXXX.sql

Now you have to upgrade the DB to match the code that's installed. instructions in the UPGRADE document included in the /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk folder

Then you have to update the IP from the old to the new.

And change the asterisk version in admin->servers.

And change any links (recording log, admin->system settings for audio and voicemail servers, dispo_url's ... all of 'em! LOL)

We charge $50 to back up and $100 to restore (and $100 to upgrade if necessary). It's also possible during Vicibox installation to install the same revision level in the new server as the prior server had (to avoid upgrading), but the challenge then is that you're running old code on a server you're just putting into service. Makes more sense to upgrade.
williamconley

Postby infinitegary » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:00 am

William,
We are a long time customer of yours i know this is an old post but we are going to want to move our vicidial data to a new server i saw you charge 150.00 to do the move. How should i go about making my order and how long of a wait will it be before your team can execute the job?
infinitegary

Postby williamconley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 am

This depends entirely on all the included services.

Who will install Vicidial on this new server?

Will the new server have an identical Vicidial Version installed (or will an upgrade also be required)?

Will the new server have the same Public/Private IP as the previous server?

Is there custom code on the server? Is the Database stock, or have there been db schema changes?

Will you be providing the Backup data set, or will we be reaching in to grab it?

Timing is based on Service Level as well as on the service being requested. For instance: It will only take a short time to move a Database from one Standalone Vicidial server to another identical server with the same Vicidial version pre-installed, especially if you have a backup set ready for us before we begin.

Whereas it takes much more time to install Vicidial on the new server, acquire the backup set from the old server, apply the backup to the new server, upgrade to the latest version, upgrade any custom code, and then modify links from all the clustered servers. The scope of a project such as that requires a larger time slot and takes longer to get into production.

If you are, indeed, an existing client of PoundTeam, the best place for this discussion is in a Ticket on our Support Portal so we can (if necessary) have a look into your system to answer some of these questions.
williamconley

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo