Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

ViciBox Redux v.3.0.0 Released

Postby Kumba » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:09 am

ViciBox Redux v.3.0.0 is released!

ViciBox Redux: http://download.vicihost.com/iso/vicibo ... -3.0.0.iso

ViciBox Redux DB: http://download.vicihost.com/iso/vicibo ... -3.0.0.iso

This version includes many improvements over the other versions, such as:

- Multi-Server Installation
- 64-Bit DB-Only installer (includes web)
- 3rd Gen Lead Loader (SVN-Only)
- OpenSuSE v.11.3 Base Distro
- Kernel 2.6.34
- Asterisk v.1.4.27.1
- Dahdi v.2.3.0
- Wanpipe v.3.5.14
- Wanpipe Voicetime v.3.0.9
- ViciDial v.2.2.1 and SVN v.2.4-275 Build 100817-1423
- Online or Offline Install
- Archive set-up script

Here are some noteworthy tidbits for installing:
- Type 'os-install' to initiate the phase-1 OS install (required first everywhere)
- Type 'vicibox-install' as always to initiate vicibox install
- Type 'vicibox-db' to install the 64-bit DB Only install
- Type 'archive-setup' to configure a server for archive

Order of things for a multi-server install:
1) Install a DataBase Server (Non-negotiable)
2) Install a Web Server (may be included with DB)
3) If you want an archive server, install it here
4) Install the first Dialer (This MUST be done ONE AT A TIME!)
5) Install an additional Dialer (Again, this MUST be done ONE AT A TIME!)
6) Repeat step 4 individually until all additional dialer servers are installed

The general idea is to do the Phase-1 install on all servers, put the servers into their final production network environment, then complete the Phase-2 install. This is because the final IP address of the servers are tied to each other through the database.

The archive server can be installed at any time as it is not directly part of the ViciDial cluster but an ancillary server. It is, however, more convenient to install it prior to the Dialers so that you can put in the information for it during the Dialer install. To set-up an archive server you simply need to install ViciBox Redux to phase 1 (OS Install), then just type 'archive-setup'. It will create a directory in /home/archive used by the archive user you create. This will be accessible from http://server/archive/ in a web browser.

To do an offline install the server needs to NOT detect internet. This may include unplugging the server from the network during the phase-1 install. During the phase-2 install you will be asked if you want to do an online update or not.
Last edited by Kumba on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kumba

Postby Trying » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:10 am

Kumba, this is brilliant!! Cannot wait to give it a go!

If we decide to install Apache on each Dialer as well, how will we go about doing that?
Vicibox Redux 3.1.14 64 bit
Asterisk: 1.4.39.2-vici | VERSION: 2.8-433a | BUILD: 140411-1434
Sangoma A102D/E1
Servers: 1 x Database; 1 x Web; 6 x Telephony; 2 x Archive
Outbound and blended ratio 3:1 with full voice recording
No additional software
Trying

Postby Kumba » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Apache is already installed on the dialers to provide access to the recordings.

The other option is to tell each dialer that it is also a web server. Not sure why you would want to do this though.
Kumba

Postby sanph » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Is it possible to run this on top of an old install of Vicibox, i.e. does it have an "upgrade" mode? Or will it clean off the drive automatically before installing?
sanph

Postby Kumba » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:34 pm

No, there is no distro upgrade option. You would need to back up your current system, install ViciBox Redux v.3.0, and then import your database and config files back, as well as perform a vicidial upgrade on them to the installed version.

It should be noted, that if your ViciDial setup is already working, that this will not give you anything more. If you want to upgrade your ViciDial software to current SVN you should just focus on that. If you are having hardware and/or driver issues, then you should look into v.3.0.0 ViciBox.

Unfortunately there is no real way to automate a ViciDial upgrade. There are changes that need to be made to the asterisk files, crontab, and database. With all the possible custom options that can take place in the wild regarding these, it would be unsafe to have such a thing.
Kumba

Postby Kumba » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:11 pm

I have ran into problems with OpenSuSE 11.3 installer being a little more finicky then the 11.1 one was. If you are having problems installing I would recommend you run this command against each hard drive, reboot, then install:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1

Replace sdX with the drives in your system, I.E. sda, sdb, sdc, etc. This commend can be ran from the CD-Rom after booting prior to the phase-1 install.

Also, if you want to set-up a Linux MD Raid, you will need to use the EXT3 format as Grub does not seem to like reading EXT4 partitions from a MD RAID.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Code: Select all
udevd-work[598]: error opening ATTR(/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.2/0000:03:00.0/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sr0/uevent} for writing: No such file or directory
[  113.533278] Waiting for CD/DVD device(s) to appear .............
[  113.533278] Failed to detect CD/DVD or USB drive !
IDE CD drive and IDE HD were both set to master, generated this error. changed CD to slave to resolve quite easily. (movin' too fast, but if someone else has the same error reading from this os install ... maybe my blown 5 minutes will resolve an error for someone else!)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby williamconley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Warning: Hand typed errors may not be "exact" :)

on more than one box (and more than one occasion) but not technically "reproducible", this error (this is all I can catch of it because it is "mixed in" with the 80x25 yast2 data scree):

y2log: Error opening logfile '/usr/log/YaST2/y2log': K.
this will be repeated in various places (every line? but starting at a different place mixed in with the blue/text of the yast2 screen) and have a different item after the ":" (1. 2. *. %. R. Q. ...) for each occurrence.

This happens when after we accept the license, assign host / domain, then set the IP/Subnet mask and hit "ok" to go back to the networking screen (we set the IP/Subnet first and then the DNS and Gateway afterwards, but we can not get there on many installs because this error will persist and stop the installation after the networking screen with this error:
Error
Canot write settings to '/etc/sysconfig/SuSEFirewall'

Then
Error
Writing settings failed

Then
Calling the YaST module 'firstboot_desktop has failed.
More information can be found near the end of the '/var/log/YaST2/y2log' file.
This is worth reporting a bug at http://bugzilla.novell.com/.
Please, attach also all Yast logs stored in the '/var/log/YaST2/' directory. See http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/YaST for more information about YaST logs.

This is followed (or sometimes preceded) by black screen with these lines at the top (clearing the blue screen away as it goes if there was blue screen up): (MY opinion this is where the actual problem stems :shock: :roll:
/usr/lib/YaST2/startup/YaST2.call: line 283: 3171 Bus error

$OPT_FBITERM y2base "$Y2_MODULE_NAME" $Y2_MODE_FLAGS $Y2_MODULE_ARGS $Y2_MODE $Y2_UI_ARGS

/usr/lib/YaST2/startup/YaST2.call: line 51: /var/log/YaST2/y2start.olog: Read-only file system

/usr/lib/YaST2/startup/common/logging.sh: line 51: /usr/lib/YaST2/y2start.log: Read-only file system

/usr/lib/YaST2/startup/common/logging.sh: line 73: /usr/lib/YaST2/startup/Firstboot-Stage/S09-cleanup: Input/output error
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3l

then this line repeated 20-30 times:

/etc/initscript: line 77: /etc/sysconfig/ulimit: Input/output error
Often followed by:
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
This line will appear every other line for the last 10 lines of the above repetition, and the "Id" will be 3,6,5,2 or 1.

It then ends with:
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
where it hangs.
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 pm

I've noticed those issues when the following happened:

1) Bad CD-Rom burn
2) Using ReiserFS (OpenSuSE 11.3 doesn't do it properly)
3) Using EXT4 on a linux MD Raid
4) Having a dirty MBR/Partition

Use EXT3 for your install, and try wiping the MBR with the instructions included above. So far 11.3 seems to be somewhat more finickier then 11.1 was.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Kumba wrote:I've noticed those issues when the following happened:

1) Bad CD-Rom burn
2) Using ReiserFS (OpenSuSE 11.3 doesn't do it properly)
3) Using EXT4 on a linux MD Raid
4) Having a dirty MBR/Partition

Use EXT3 for your install, and try wiping the MBR with the instructions included above. So far 11.3 seems to be somewhat more finickier then 11.1 was.
These two machines both happen to have IDE drives. But ... Not related to the file system - we have not even gotten to the partitioner yet. the boot OS hasn't even gotten to the command line prompt. haven't even Looked for a HD.

All that has happened is setting the network before getting to the prompt.

good MD5 on the download.

reburning the CD "Just In Case".
williamconley

Postby williamconley » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 pm

They also had SLOW IDE CD drives (office spares for testing the new .iso :) ). I put in a fast (front load DVD drive) one ... and got past the error. So it was related to the CD Drive in some fashion (likely).

Either because they were old (and dirty?) or because they were slow ... or I just got lucky with that last install and it'll happen again later ... one way or another my problem was solved with a better drive for the CD.
williamconley

Postby Kumba » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:42 pm

I know that some IDE chipsets (older ones) can be a little sketchy. We had to unplug the CD-Rom drive on a customers servers because they kept locking the machine up in an IO loop. This was like 4 years ago. Haven't had that problem much with newer hardware.

In good conscious, I wouldn't recommend someone use ViciDial on a machine with an IDE drive anyways, so it wasn't an environment we really tested. I'll have to see if we have a machine and an IDE drive laying around we can test.
Kumba

Postby williamconley » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 am

i've had about 20% using IDE and have not had any problems as yet. 500G down to 20G (actually had one on a 6G for a while there as well).

I've actually got a client who simply refuses to give up his 20G P4 setup. Running 2.0.4 and just will not modify it in any way (hey, it's still runnin', can't blame him!)
williamconley

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo