ViciBox Load Balance Steps

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

ViciBox Load Balance Steps

Postby Trying » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:56 am

Will one of the experts be nice enough to write complete STEP BY STEP instructions on how to load balance using ViciBox? Meaning, you load ViciBox on a MySQL server, a Webserver, two Vicidial/Asterisk servers and the instructions must explain exactly how to disable what is not needed on each server.

If you will only do it if you get paid please let me know how much it will be. I would like it to be for the benefit of everybody.
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sat May 08, 2010 10:47 am

there are already instructions posted for "clustering" the servers. at that point, load balancing is an option.

have you built and clustered your servers yet?
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sat May 08, 2010 11:26 am

Hi

No, not yet. I have come to an agreement with Kumba and he is preparing a document for this. It will be released to the community.
Trying

Postby Trying » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:08 am

Is anyone else interested in doing this paid project? ViciDial Group and I came to an agreement on the specs and the price on 26 April. A project that should have taken one week seems to have now died because I get no response to my PM's or emails. Don't get me wrong, I am not being nasty, just a little disappointed at the total lack of communication. :(
Trying

Postby mflorell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 am

Did you already pay us? We don't do any work post-paid, which might have been what James was waiting on.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Trying » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 am

No, I asked him to send me the invoice and I provided all the details for the invoice but I never received it.
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Trying wrote: ViciDial Group and I came to an agreement on the specs and the price on 26 April.
but I never received it

so you came to an agreement but you never received the invoice, so you never made the payment?
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Yup. However the final price was not agreed as he was not sure yet how many hours it will take exactly. Strange that you ask..... do you want to take up this small project?
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Your goal is that this be a "comprehensive" manual for Load Balancing or a "Primer"?

And what is your deadline for this project?

Have you considered paying the agree-upon price with The Vicidial Group? (Sans invoice?) Or did they eventually send you an invoice?
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Let me explain what happened EXACTLY for what it is worth :)

Vicidial Group responded to this topic that they can do the project. Several emails later the specs of the project were agreed upon. I said I would like the entire community to benefit from this so they quoted a lower hourly rate because of that. There was no definite quotation on the amount of hours but I gave the go ahead for the project and asked them to send me the invoice to make immediate payment (So I don't know what the cost is exactly hence no payment). Several weeks later I have received no response. I then sent a PM and an email to Vicidial Group to inquire as to what is happening with the project. The answer I eventually received was that they rather spent the time fixing Vicibox bugs (thanks for letting me know) but that the bugs are fixed and they can now do the project. Several weeks later and again I received no communication. In the meantime I again sent a PM and email but no response. I don't understand why they will offer to do the project in the first place if they don't plan on following through or at least communicate to me what is going on.

Anyway, I love the project so I am not complaining in a bad way, just disappointed that I wasted many weeks :)

All I want is a proper guide to the following:

How to install a complete load balanced system by using the Vicibox CD:

1. A database server
2. A webserver
3. Two Vicidial servers
4. An archive server

I know if I search all over there are guides but I want it in one guide and I am willing to pay for it.

I know how to install the CD, so I need a guide what to disable/enable on each separate server.

I would really like to receive it in a week's time.
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:14 pm

I could have sworn that boybawang published a pdf (Vicidial_Multi_Server_Ubuntu.pdf) for this purpose. Admittedly it's not pretty (command line walk through), but I found it to be quite accurate.

At the end of his walk-through, you would have a single database server and as many web/vicidial servers as you installed. Any server installed with this method would be both a web server and a vicidial server (dialer).

So to complete your request, the only thing missing on this setup would be an archive server.

I guess it would not hurt to break it into pieces (chapters, etc.).

Which version of Vicidial (2.0.X, 2.2.X, 2.4.X) would you like this for?

Have you looked at his version?
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 pm

But is his guide not a scratch install? (Admittedly I haven't really looked at it) I would like the easy way out of just installing the CD and disabling what is not needed.

I would like to install the latest SVN Trunk.
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 pm

I stand corrected, boybawang's publication was vicidial for dummies.

but codehaxor published Vicidial_Multi_Server_Ubuntu and if you don't find a copy of it, let me know and i'll put it up.
williamconley

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:29 pm

understood. so you would like a version that begins where vicidial for dummies ends and goes through to a full vicibox multi-server installation with a single db, multiple apache/dialers and a single archive and what buttons to push, settings to change, etc. to utilize several "vicibox" installations as a single cluster.

yes?
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Yes.....

1 DB
1 or more web servers (separate from the DB and Vicidial servers)
More than one Vicidial servers
Archive server
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 pm

and just in case someone else reads this, i want to "dispel" what may be the wrong impression:

in a cluster, it is NOT about "disabling what is not needed". it's about configuring them to work together.

although you may NOT need mysql, it does not recover much in the way of resources to "disable" mysql. however, AFTER you have a fully-functioning and happy cluster, turning off mysql is fine.

otherwise: remember that each box IS running vicidial. it runs almost all of the scripts, creates and uses meetme rooms, recordings, mixes sounds, etc. So there is nothing else to "disable".

Each box utilizes the full power of the system, as required to have the ability with each box to transfer a call to an agent on another box, to route an inbound call to another box, to dial outbound for another box short of trunks. they must all react to commands (no matter which box initiated the command).

So look at it more along the lines of configuring them to know their identities in the "cluster", so they can respond to commands meant for them. And since there is now more than one server there is a script which requires activation (on one server only) and the possibility of dialing for campaigns on another server AND the need to transfer calls (via IAX2, invisibly to users on this box) to another server with a free agent who can take the call.

Disabling is something you should reserve for "hey! it works! now, how can we optimize it to get the best bang from each box?"
williamconley

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 pm

And remember that with the exception of the DB server, they must have a full vicidial installation. thus our preference for the "Vicibox" installation with a cluster, which creates a clean, uniform, error-free (withing reason) for EACH vicidial server except the MySQL (and often that one as well, to reserve the possibility of using it as an overflow server).

since each box will have a full vicidial installation, each box can serve as Web and/or Dialer. Or both. Your choice.
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks for the information. So are you interested in doing the guide? Doesn't have to be anything fancy.
Trying

Postby williamconley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Perhaps you should PM me with an offer of price for a basic version (all we would have time for in the next week).

PDF format?
williamconley

Postby Trying » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:12 pm

All I need is a basic version, so that I know what I am doing more or less :) PDF is fine. I will PM you tomorrow. It is very late this side of the world.
Trying

Postby Kumba » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:14 pm

I am still writing the instructions between other client work. The issue I am having is that it gets pushed aside a lot as it's not considered a high-priority item. In other words, I have chosen to work on other projects such as new system installations, server maintenance, and hosted issues over the documentation at various times. This has resulted in it not be completed yet.

The version I am writing covers the individual configurations of the Database, Web Server, and Dialers. It is written in the same format as the current ViciBox Redux instructions. Because of the complexity of a clustered configuration, there are some extra things that I am having to explain to make sure the document is as complete as it needs to be.

Hopefully I can get it buttoned up here shortly and out for review.
Kumba

Postby boybawang » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:37 pm

i have a paid version ranging from a 2 cluster to 10 cluster setup
Vicidial Installation + Configuration + Support + Custom Development
Download my ebook on installing vicidial for free http://download.vicidial.com/ubuntu/VIC ... 100331.pdf
m: +639172063730
boybawang

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo